Why Raw Food?
Dogs need REAL food, real meat, real vegetables, so give it a go. Take your dog off the packaged and often preservative-laden food (the carbohydrates that make up most of the dry food mixes are the same carbohydrates that can also decrease your dog’s wellness).
And try a mix of fresh meat with some of the following raw vegetables grated on top:
Carrot (a natural wormer as well)
Pumpkin seeds crushed (another natural wormer)
1 medium size clove per 25 kg of dog per day is a safe amount to feed
Daily allowance of Doggy Daily
Sprinkle the Doggy Daily on the food like a topping. Then add a dessert spoon of flax or other oil to the bowl. Mix the food, Doggy Daily and oil together in the bowl, and watch them dig in!
Some potential risks to be aware of when feeding raw food:
- Feeding a BALANCED diet (ensuring the correct amount of meat, bone, organ meat like liver, kidney and heart as well as vegetables / fruit) is vital otherwise a good quality commercial food option may be a better choice for the long term health and well-being of your pet.
- The safety of feeding bones – these are usually OK as long as the bones are raw (cooked bones splinter) but for those animals who tend to gulp down their food it is recommended that the bones be either too big for them to swallow (only chewed) or that they be crushed up in the food. Occasionally some dogs don’t seem to tolerate bones (they can vomit or get a sore tummy), in these cases bones may need to be crushed up and introduced to the diet gradually.
- Bugs like E.coli and Salmonella, which are not a problem if the meat is fresh or frozen. Cats and dogs also have a greater tolerance for these organisms than us humans. Keep your utensils separate from your pets’ for your safety.
- Parasites such as hydatids are killed after freezing raw meat for 3 days at –20 degrees Celsius or -10°C for 7 days. It is illegal to feed raw offal to dogs otherwise. Hydatids can be avoided altogether by feeding chicken, which don’t harbour hydatids.
- Foods to avoid that are potentially toxic include: raisins, grapes, onions, macadamia nuts and chocolate.