What pet parents can do to support a pup with a sick liver
It may surprise you to learn that the function of the liver is not solely to support detoxification; it also has an important role to play many other bodily functions. For example, metabolising nutrients, making hormones, blood proteins, bile, stirring vitamins, minerals and energy levels.
So what are the signs that your dog’s liver may be in need of some TLC?
The first thing to stress is that liver disease needs to be diagnosed by your veterinarian so if your dog is suffering from any of these symptoms, please book a visit to investigate the cause further.
Symptoms that can indicate a liver issue:
- Weight loss
- Poor appetite
- Poor coat quality
- Tender abdomen
- Vague or strange behaviour
- Yellowness about the eyes/ jaundice
What causes liver disease?
There are many things that can damage the liver including some pharmaceuticals. Here are some common causes.
- Heavy metals
What can pet parents do to support a pup with a sick liver?
- Get professional support. Visit your local vet immediately
- Detox. One of the best detox supports is milk thistle which is well known for its liver-protective and liver restorative properties.
- Ban chemicals. Use as few chemicals around your dog as possible.
- Water Quality and Quantity is key. Collect fresh rainwater with no fluoride or chlorine added. Encourage drinking plenty of fluids to aid in detoxification in the body.
- Good nutrition. Many dogs affected by liver disease do not feel hungry. Feed a highly digestible, low fat, moderate protein diet (e.g. add dried liver, carrots, beets, cucumber, steamed veggies, brown rice, eggs and apples.)
- Feed smaller meals 3 x daily
- Exercise. Mild daily exercise stimulates the elimination of waste products and improves blood flow.
- Supplement support – any supplement should include Vit C, Vit E, Vit B complex, Probiotics, Zinc.
Thankfully, the liver also has an enormous power to regenerate if it is supported with the right care plan.
Doggy Detox now available at Olive’s Kitchen
Designed and tested by a NZ holistic vet, Doggy Detox is an all-natural support for promoting and supporting a healthy liver.
Find out more about Doggy Detox here.