The health and healing properties of Flaxseed
It has been called one of the most powerful plant foods on the planet and with good reason; this tiny seed is a powerhouse of body-essential nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, fibre and antioxidants which are all linked with reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes.
So could the humble flaxseed have health benefits for our pets?
In a world where pets are falling prey to a similar set of chronic lifestyle diseases as their owners - including obesity, diabetes and cancer - the answer is most definitely yes.
Pet diets high in omega-3 fatty acids are excellent for managing various diseases, particularly those with an inflammatory component, including cancer, skin disorders, cardiovascular disease, renal disease, gastrointestinal disorders and orthopaedic disease.
But wait there’s more! Flaxseed’s nutrient-rich properties aren’t purely about restoring the health of your fur baby, they’re equally important for maintaining overall health and wellbeing.
We recommend mixing a teaspoon to a tablespoon (depending on the size of your dog) of flaxseed oil into your pet’s favourite RAW food bowl along with the sprinkle of your Doggy Daily superfood boost!
If you are using ground flaxseed, divide the following dosages in half and add the first half to the dog bowl in the morning, and the remainder in the evening:
- Teacup-size dogs, start with 1/8 to 1/4 of a teaspoon per day.
- Small dogs, start with a 1/2 teaspoon to 1 full teaspoon each day.
- Medium-sized dogs, start with 1 1/2 teaspoons to 2 full teaspoons per day.
- Large dogs, start with 2 1/2 teaspoons to 1 full tablespoon per day.
- Giant breeds like Great Danes, start with 1 1/2 to 2 full tablespoons daily.